Saturday, January 10, 2015

A delicious AND nutritious recipe!

Asian Turkey Quinoa Meatballs
(original recipe from here)


Okay, so I made these on Thursday night and I have had them as leftovers for the last two days at lunch...I figured if it was good enough to eat leftovers for 2 days I needed to share it!

They just have amazing flavor and are pretty filling, we made them with egg noodles for dinner on Thursday but for the last two days at lunch I have had them just by themselves with the sauce and MMMMMMM is all I have to say!

Ingredients:

Meatballs
1 pound ground Turkey (I used super lean like 99% fat free)
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 egg
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon siracha 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauce (**I doubled this for the sauce to make sure I had enough for leftovers)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (I must admit I have no idea how to fresh grate ginger so I tried to but I really think I only got maybe like 1/2 a tablespoon total in the sauce)
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon siracha
2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Directions:
**cook quinoa according to packaging instructions.  I meant to do it the night before but i forgot so I did it as soon as I got home from work and it cooled for like 5 minutes before adding it to the turkey, I think it made them meatballs cook quicker because the mixture was warm when it went in the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 400 and grease 2 9x13 pans.  I just sprayed them with olive oil Pam, the original recipe calls just for one pan but there was no way I was going to be able to fit all the balls in one pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, quinoa, garlic, onion, egg, soy sauce, sesame oil, siracha, salt and pepper.  You can use your hands or a wooden spoon, I used a wooden spoon and it worked well.
3. Make 1/2 inch meatballs and place in pan.  I was able to make 20 meatballs when I made it.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes until crisp.  My husband liked them more crisp so I only cooked for 18 but next time I am going to go 20 minutes.
5. While the meatballs cook, in a small/medium sauce pan, whisk together soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil and siracha over medium high heat.  Once the mixture is warm, whisk together cornstarch and water and add to the mixture.  Continue to whisk until the mixture thickens about 2 minutes.  I must admit I didn't really see a thickening so I just keep my sauce on low until the meatballs were done.

Enjoy meatballs with sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment